1 not clear; not transmitting or reflecting light or radiant energy; "opaque windows of the jail"; "opaque to X-rays" [ant: clear]
2 not clearly understood or expressed [syn: unintelligible]
- Rhymes with: -eɪk
EtymologyFrom opacus, itself of unknown origin, originally spelled opake, and in the 17th century respelled after the cognate opaque.
Opacity or opaque refers to something difficult to see through or perceive. It can refer to:
- Opacity (optics), the degree to which light is blocked.
- Opaque context, a linguistic context in which it is not possible to substitute co-referential terms while guaranteeing the preservation of truth values.
- Opaque data, in computer programming, data that can only be manipulated through an external interface, see magic cookie
- Opaque (restaurant), a restaurant where the dining room is pitch black. - http://www.darkdining.com/
- Opaque travel inventory, the market of selling unsold travel inventory at a discounted price.
opaque in Afrikaans: W.W.Opaciteit
opaque in German: Opak
opaque in Spanish: Opacidad
opaque in Esperanto: Opakeco
opaque in Ido: Opaka
opaque in Dutch: Opaciteit
opaque in Norwegian: Opasitet
opaque in Portuguese: Opacidade
opaque in Simple English: Opacity
Boeotian, abstruse, adiaphanous, ambiguous, amorphous, amphibological, arcane, asinine, backward, baffling, becloud, beef-brained, beef-witted, black, blind, blockish, blurred, blurry, bovine, chumpish, clear as mud, cloddish, cloud, clouded, cloudy, cowish, crass, cryptic, dark, darken, dense, dim, doltish, dull, dull-witted, dullard, dumb, duncical, duncish, dunderheaded, elusive, enigmatic, equivocal, fat, foggy, fuzzy, gross, grumly, hazy, impenetrable, impermeable, impervious to light, indefinite, indeterminate, indistinct, ineducable, intransparent, klutzy, lumpish, misty, muddy, murky, mysterious, mystifying, nebulous, nubilous, oafish, obfuscated, obscure, obscured, obtuse, perplexing, puzzling, recondite, roiled, roily, shadowy, shapeless, slow, smoky, sottish, stolid, stupid, tenebrous, thick, thickheaded, transcendent, turbid, uncertain, unclear, unfathomable, unintelligent, unintelligible, unplain, unteachable, vague, wrongheaded